Twenty-six Irish drivers have now entered the Saint-Gouéno Hillclimb masters event held in Côtes-d’Armor in Brittany France. This 3.2Km ribbon of Tarmac is considered by many to be one of the most prestigious motorsport events in the French Hillclimb calendar. The event runs from May 27/28/29 and attracts thousands of spectators who flank the entire hill all the way up to the infamous Fer à Cheval hairpin bend, where the faster cars approach this bend at well over 240Km/h, testing both the metal of the driver and their cars to their limits.
The event kicks off on the Thursday with the traditional welcome party for the masters drivers in the village of Saint-Gouéno where the guests sample the finest local French cuisine along with some excellent French wine and beer and some more wonderful French wine…
Rory Stephens is also making the trip with his Radical SR8 along with Deidre McKinley, and the legendary Simon McKinley Escort will be driven by Simon’s dad Peter. The Escort is sure to get a warm welcome as Simon had a legion of French fans who loved to see the car in action. Indeed one of the most popular areas in the paddock is the Irish camp; festooned with Irish flags, banners etc. The fans adore the party spirit of the Irish competitors, and a real party atmosphere runs all weekend practically 24hrs a day.
Looking after the masters is John Lloyd & co, John has assembled a Dream Team and they have practically turned the event into a Click-and-drive affair. The amount of work that goes into this event is mind-boggling and these guys have a Bazillion things to organize over the course of the weekend. And we all really do owe John and his team a Big Thank You.
Past events in our Gallery:
Irish Drivers entry list courtesy of John Lloyd.
1. Barry Smith Ford Escort Mexico
2. Paul O’Connell BMW E30 V10
3. Ben O’Brien BMW M3
4. Cormac O’Brien Ray Formula Ford
5. Dermot Nolan SHP RT 2000
6. Peter Mc Kinley Ford Escort
7. Deirdre Mc Kinley Vauxhall Nova
8. Ivalo Linder Fiat Cinquecento
9. Derek McGuinnes Peugeot 205
10. Jack Kingston lotus Elan S4
11. Colm Hynes Ford Cortina GT
12. Denis Hogan BMW M3
13. Donal Grffin Hilman Avenger BRM
14. Emmet Dunne Dallara 391
15. Gary Cunningham Global Light GTJ
16. Peter Cummins Darian T90 GTR
17. Eanna Carrol Honda Civic
18. Neil Bradbury Fiat Chinquecento
19. Peter Dwyer Lola T96/50 F3000
20. Rory Stephens Radical SR8
21. Robert Swaine Van Diemen FF 1600
22. Brendan Keane Westfeild SeiW
23. Joe Courtney Reynard 913
24. Garry Egan Fiat Seicento
25. Mick O’Shea MGB GT
26. Billy White Fiat Seicento
Below is a list of websites well worth a visit..
All things Hillclimb in Ireland:
Irish Hillclimb & Sprint webpage all the news, views, results and much much more.
Vantage Point Video for the definitive collection of Irish Hillclimb Video & News.